Friday, January 23, 2009

Picky Eater Problems!


I need help from my friendly bloggers out there!  I have a picky eater on my hands and I would LOVE some ideas for healthy snacks and meals.  Porter has a list of foods he loves but dislikes anything new I try to give him!  His current "requests":

*Annie's mac and cheese
*chicken nuggets (but he will only eat Applegate Farms brand!)
*strawberries
*bananas
*waffles
*toasted turkey and cheese
*organic pizza on wheat bread

Is he high maintenance or what? :)  I have tried MANY of the "Deceptively Delicious" recipes but they didn't fool him, unfortunately!  Ha!  I would love any healthy ideas you have or suggested foods I could offer that might be Porter approved!
Thanks a BUNCH!!!

4 comments:

Chelsi said...

Oh my gosh, I have this SAME problem! I have been "stalking" your blog for a while now, though I am pretty sure I met you at the "Mama Bloggers" playgroup back in August. Anyway, I am going to check back on this post for your comments. I have a terrible time trying to get my little boy Carter to eat anyting new/healthy. He will only eat the same few things as well, which include some healthy things like: peanut butter (he is OBSESSED with PB), bananas,Nutra Grain bars, yougurt, pretzles, raisins and cheese and some unhealthy things like fruit snacks and chips.....and he is not a big fan of meat unless it's a McDonald's cheeseburger (gross, I know) so needless to say I am all about suggestions! I am very picky too and I don't want him to continue this way!!

Annie said...

I totally hear you! For the pst four days, Sutton has lived off of applesauce, yogurt and blueberries! I am afriad he might turn into the girl from Will Wonka he eats so many blueberries. I am thinking it is a phase but it is so frustrating! My ped. said that it will come and go until 18mths and if he doesn't eat what you give him he must not be hungry but I know he is hungry so I am really struggling!!

Maridon said...

Ha! Totally living this every day! He's at the age where what goes into his mouth is a control mechanism... which he cherishes b/c he has no control over anything else in his little world!

I've been told by my pediatrician to not give up when they don't like a new food, rather, just keep offering it to them for several days & act like it's no big deal... they'll eventually try it & either like it or not...

Food ideas:

frozen veggies boiled in chicken broth, to make them tasty

blueberries

applesauce (no sugar added brands)

Brothers All Natural brand, fuji apple crisps (have to buy online, usually, unless your health food store carries them)

honey ham from central market or whole foods (the fresh, deli kind, with no preservatives in it...)

Good luck. I have two picky eaters... one 3-1/2 & one 22m, as you know... They both still eat baby food veggies (I tell them it's applesauce!) b/c that is the only way I can get them to eat veggies right now... whatever works, right? So frustrating! They're food interests typically won't change though until they are much older... one thing is true, if they're hungry, they'll eat!

Oh, one other thing our doc told us was not to jump around trying to replace uneaten food on their plates with foods they do want... said that creates even pickier eaters... hmmmmm.

Donnell Days said...

Ugh...we are in the SAME BOAT...Hudson only eats a handful of things and none of them are veggies!! I am going to keep checking back to see if you get any great ideas because we need them!!