Monday, June 7, 2010

Home Grown

Ever since Porter could walk, he has LOVED picking blackberries when we go to Gilmer. Mia and Poppy have tons of blackberry vines and so does Grandad. The last time we went home, he made himself sick he ate so many!
So, this Spring, Porter and I decided we would grow our very own blackberries in the backyard. I bought a blackberry plant with low expectations. Porter, on the other hand, never lost hope. He watered this little plant every day and finally about a month ago we got one tiny, green berry. I explained that he would have to keep watering it and wait until it turned purple. And let me tell you, it was hard to wait! He tried to pick that green berry every.single.day. Literally. But, he controlled himself and today he discovered that it was worth the wait!
We woke up to a dark purple berry on our vine! (Hopefully next summer we will have more than one..ha!) Anyway, Porter could not contain himself. He ran out in his pjs and asked if he could pick it. I ran to get my camera and enjoyed watching him savor every bite. It was priceless!



1 comment:

Donnell Days said...

OK, I have to do this with Hudson...blackberries are his FAVORITE fruit! I will have to get some tips from you! :)