Well, it's official....Porter is potty-trained!
YIPEEEEE!
HOORAY!
YAY!
It has been 7 days since we officially started potty-training and I am happy to report that after MUCH planning, MANY rewards, and some MINOR accidents, Porter is doing great and there are no more diapers at the Carroll house! :)
I planned for months. I read books about potty-training. I talked to friends about their success with potty-training. Porter had actually been showing signs of being ready to use the potty for a long time, but I wasn't ready! Then finally, when he told me he didn't want to wear diapers anymore, I knew I had to get busy!
Sooooo, last Sunday night, I prepared the bathroom downstairs for our bathroom boot camp! This is what the bathroom looked like the night before "no more diapers"....
There were books about potty-training, books to read while on the potty :), disinfecting wipes, several different potty options (ha!), a baby that "wets", sticker charts, activities to keep us busy in the bathroom, etc. I was armed and ready!
We had been telling Porter for a week that very soon he would be wearing big boy underwear and no more diapers! Every time we asked him if he was ready he would yell, "yes!" So, when he woke up on Monday morning he was pretty excited about the new plans and only got a little sad when we packed up his diapers and watched the garbage man take them away. :(
Porter responds really well to reinforcers, so after filling up his sticker chart the first day of potty training he got to go to the store and pick out a toy.....he could pick any toy....
...and all he wanted was a new ball! :) We were happy to give him whatever he wanted as long as it would keep him motivated!
One day he got to pick out a guitar, which was a hit as well!
And of course, we told anyone and everyone about his potty progress! Here we are talking to Mia on Skype and she is praising him big time! :)
We stayed home for 2 1/2 days without leaving and it was tough...but we did lots of fun things together and Porter enjoyed the uninterrupted attention!
So now instead of changing diapers I monitor this:
Porter, we are SO proud of you! You are such a big boy now! You did a great job!
XOXOXOXO
We love you,
Mommy and Daddy



3 comments:
Yea Porter!!!
So proud of Porter AND Mommy!! And I must say, I am jealous!! Loved your "Potty Training" bathroom! It looked really fun :)
Yay!!!!! Love this post and all the pics - keep this one forever! What a great memory to look back on!!!
Post a Comment