For some reason, I have been getting my blog inspirations from books lately. I am currently reading "Last Child in the Woods" and completely agree with the author's philosophy. Basically, he talks about what he calls "nature deficit disorder" in children today. He believes that kids need more time outside, with nature and I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. I grew up playing outside and getting dirty (even though I was a girl)! Those times when I was at my grandparents' farm or playing in my backyard are my favorite memories and I hope to give Porter the same kind of experiences! I think it is SO important to get your kids outside and move around! I am constantly thinking of things we can do outside. Riding in the wagon, swimming, looking for birds, running through the sprinkler, going to parks, etc. I can't stand the thought of him watching t.v. all the time or being entertained by staring at a computer. I believe nature is healing and such an important part of development. Will you join me so our kids aren't the "last children in the woods"? :)
Luckily, Porter LOVES being outside. He literally begs to go outside every single day. Here are some fun things we have done recently in our quest for nature-filled experiences!
Playing with different balls and learning what to do with them. (ex. dribble a basketball, throw a baseball, etc.)

Here is Porter doing his favorite evening activity. Running through the sprinklers in the front yard. It's a good way to be outside without burning up!
Here, at Mia's house, Porter decided he would rather take a bath outside. Fine with me! :)
This is Porter being a stinker. In the front yard "picking" flowers! :(
Here he is at Mia's house "begging" to go back outside, with no such luck since he had just finished his bath!

Being a stinker again....trying to jump on the golf cart at the farm when I was trying to change his diaper! Ha!

Here on the back porch, Porter is doing his usual outdoor thing...searching for dirt to put in his mouth!
A new toy.... the Kubota....and Porter's favorite new thing to do...."drive"~!
Don't they look so tough? :) Meet cousins Jacob, Noah, and Dylan

"What do you mean this is for the cats?!?! It's my new pool!"








3 comments:
I absolutely love all of the pictures of Porter playing outside. I feel the SAME way you do...the kiddos NEED to be outside playing! :)
I 100% agree with kids needing to play outside! What great pictures...you're such a fun mom!
You always find the best books!! I think it's so true about being outside - I'm just ready for the cooler weather so we can start going to the park in the middle of the afternoon! We need to find some good outdoor places to take the boys!!
Post a Comment